Moving on from our recent series of web hosting comparison articles;
Today, we’ll take a look at what SSL Certificate means? Why is it important for your website? and How you can buy one from HostGator? So without further ado, let’s begin!
When it comes to maintaining the online security of your website, half-hearted attempts can result in colossal damages, not only in terms of money but also in terms of your brand’s reputation. Any vulnerability on your site can be misused by prying hackers. Thus, to avoid this, implementing a digital certificate on your site is vital as it will help secure your data and provide your customer with a positive user experience.
In this guide, we’ll look at the importance of SSL for your business, how to obtain and install one on HostGator, along with how it plays a vital role in the overall growth of your business.
To begin with, let’s first understand what SSL means.
#1 What is SSL?
Short for Secure Sockets Layer, SSL is an encryption technology that protects sensitive data such as bank transactions, credit card details, user information etc, from being misused by hackers.
Since there are high chances of personal data being intercepted by hackers, an SSL certificate helps to create an encrypted connection between your web server and your visitors’ web browser, thereby ensuring secure transmission of private information without the risk of data tampering.
#3 What Are The Different Types of SSL Certificates?
There are several types of digital certificates that you can choose from. However, the three most popular SSL Certificates are
- Domain Validation SSL Certificates (DV SSL)
- Organization Validation SSL Certificates (OV SSL)
- Extended Validation SSL Certificates (EV SSL)
- Domain Validation SSL Certificates: One of the cheapest SSL certificates available, Domain validated SSL certificates or DV SSL are encryption-only certificates that require no validation from the certificate authority. These certificates can be obtained easily and are affordable, however, they are less secure than EV SSL certificate
- Organization Validation SSL Certificates: In the case of an OV SSL certificate, a strict authentication process is carried out by the certificate authority and includes validating the company’s physical address, business credential, etc. This is a standard certificate required for public-facing websites that deal with less sensitive transactional data and provides a certain amount of trust compared to DV SSL.
- Extended Validation SSL Certificates: Providing maximum security, EV SSL certificate is the highest level of authentication available and involves rigorous evaluation procedures done by the certificate authority. It is mostly used by eCommerce and other websites that carry out business transactions that involve credit cards, bank details, etc and comes with the green browser URL address bar that indicates strong security.
#5 How To Get An SSL Certificate?
There are a number of reliable SSL Certificate providers on the web from whom you can buy an SSL certificate for your website. One such providers is SSLs, that provide the best SSL certificates at an affordable price.
However, since the primary purpose of SSL Certificate is to ensure a safe environment wherein people can buy products or services without the risk of running into any scams, the certificate authority has a process for ordering a certificate wherein they require three things to validate your business or organization. These are:
- A Dedicated IP Address: To ensure maximum security, only one SSL certificate is issued per cPanel account and thus, if you want to buy a digital certificate for your business or organization, then having a dedicated IP address is a must.
- A Certificate and Signing Request (CSR): CSR is an encrypted text that contains information about your business, such as organization name, locality, domain name, and country, which you need to send to the certificate authority in order to obtain a digital certificate. Read this guide to know more about CSR and how you can generate one for your business.
- WHOIS record: To verify whether or not your company name and address is legit, the certificate authority will cross-check your submitted application with the WHOIS record. Therefore, it is important that you fill in your site’s data correctly on the WHOIS record, as chances are that the certificate authority, may call or email you based on the information available on the WHOIS site. Check the WHOIS record for your domain name here
#7 What does a website with an installed SSL Certificate look like?
On completion, the new certificate should work immediately. You can verify it by checking your website’s URL address bar in your web browser. It will look like this.
In this, the small lock icon denotes that an SSL connection is established between your computer and the remote web server. Also, you can get more information on your certificate by clicking on the lock icon.
Now, while this guide is primarily based on how to set-up SSL on HostGator if you have purchased an SSL certificate from a 3rd party vendor, you need not worry about installation as most web hosts are courteous enough to install them for you.
Do other hosting companies offer SSL certificate services? Check out the below comparison blogs to find out!