Your server is handicapped without a scalable operating system. An operating system is a primary software on which all the other software or web applications rely. To pick a good operating system, it is essential to know its features. Currently, the two most popular operating systems available are Linux and Windows.
In the write-up below, we’ll discuss the difference between the two so you can choose the best option.
Whether you choose Linux Shared Hosting or Windows Shared Hosting depends on your website requirements. Both the operating systems come with their share of pros and cons. Understanding what will work for your website will give you an edge and help you pick the best. Besides, both the operating systems provide excellent features and functions that help in scalability.
A. Linux Hosting and Windows Hosting
Linux hosting is open-sourced and the most popular operating system that provides complete flexibility and user functionality. It offers complete customization to users and comes with advanced server capacity. Compared to Windows hosting, Linux hosting is an affordable solution. Also, in the past few years it has gained more popularity for its innovation, security, and reliability.
To purchase Linux hosting for your website, use HostGator Coupon codes.
Windows hosting uses a Windows operating system. It is the most popular web-hosting server used by web applications exclusive to Windows such as ASP, ASP.NET and MySQL. C# and Visual basic development are two languages that Windows support. Windows hosting offers powerful interface, scalability, and end-to-end reliability.
1. Linux Shared Hosting
- It is free and open-sourced: You can expect a huge advantage from the open-source feature of Linux OS. While the operating system may be free to use, you will have to pay for the setup cost. However, with a technical background, you can manage the setup easily. It’s a better option for start-ups and small companies as the OS is free.
- Complete stability: Since Linux OS has been in the server business for long, you can expect complete stability from the operating system. The OS comes with customizable features, so it can be used for most websites. Most people are apprehensive as it’s open-sourced, but that is not an issue. The OS provides constant updates and makes sure you work in a secure environment. Linux-based hosting plans also offer cPanel.
- Security features: Compare to other operating systems, Linux is known to have good security features. Security is the main concern for any website today due to constant hack attacks. And, if your website or server is vulnerable to attacks, it will cause damage to your system.
Companies on a budget can opt for Linux Shared hosting. The features of the hosting plans may differ, so you need to choose according to your website or business requirement. Use HostGator hosting coupons to get a discount on the purchase of Linux shared hosting.
Linux community constantly works on security issues and tries to fix them. So, if there is an error in codes, you have a secure backup that will help you at the backend, ensuring you’re working in a secured environment.
2. Windows Shared Hosting
- Simple setup: Windows shared hosting is easy to set up, thanks to the user-friendly Plesk control panel. It is easier to use, and its features offer complete flexibility.
- Windows-only applications: This hosting is best suited for only those applications that need a Windows server. Windows work with MSSQL database and .NET, which are two exclusive frameworks Windows can work with. That said, .NET is also available on the Linux platform. But the whole setup process of .NET on Windows saves your time. Moreover, many Windows options are found through a specific user interface in Windows.