If you’re into fitness, why not consider starting a blog to share your enthusiasm and help others get healthy, too?
Health and Fitness blogs are one of the fastest growing areas in the blogosphere and many are finding they are a good way to earn a part-time income, as well. The fitness and weight loss industry is a good niche to start with and is also one of the best online business ideas.
The industry itself is worth billions of dollars and there are numerous sub-niches where you can specialise and grow your audience. This niche is also evergreen meaning it is relevant all year long. People are trying to lose weight and get into shape every day of the year and are always searching for new health and fitness tips to get fitter, slimmer, and healthier.
Learning how to start a fitness blog isn’t complicated, but it will take time.
Let’s start with a quick overview of the steps you’ll need to follow to start your own fitness blog.
How To Start A Fitness Blog 2021
- How To Start A Fitness Blog 2021
- #1. Choose a Blog Domain Name
- #2. Buy A Hosting Plan
- #3. Set Up Your Website
- #4. Niche Research
- #5. Content Creation
- #6. Private Label Rights Articles
- #7. SEO – Search Engine Optimization
- #8. Promote Your Blog
- #9. Link Building
- #10. Building Your Email Lists
- #11. Monetizing Your Blog
#1. Choose a Blog Domain Name
You will start by selecting and then registering a domain name. Your domain name should be easy to read and spell and easy to remember. Try and find one with a .com extension since this is the most common and the one people will look for first.
You can either purchase your domain name from a domain site or choose one and register it with your hosting company.
#3. Set Up Your Website
Once you are signed up for web hosting, you need to set up your website. The easiest and quickest way to do this is to use the free WordPress software, either installing it directly from your cPanel or downloading it from WordPress.org.
This software allows you to easily manage and maintain the content of your fitness blog. It also provides some tools to get your web pages to rank more quickly in the search engines. It should take only a few minutes to install WordPress, since most cPanels have a one-click WordPress installation process.
Once your site is up and running, you will need to select a WordPress Fitness theme. There are many options available, some are free and some are paid. A few recommendations for a fitness blog include Thesis, Elegant Themes, StudioPress, and Flexibility. These are all premium or paid themes, but provide a lot of flexibility when it comes to designing your website.
When you are creating a fitness blog, remember to keep it clean and uncluttered. Choose bright, energetic colours and fonts which are easy to read. Here is a list of some of the best WordPress blog themes. Once your site is set up, it’s time to do some research.
Further reading: Essential Settings After WordPress Installation
#5. Content Creation
Creating engaging, relevant content is the most important step of starting a fitness blog. It may also be one of the most difficult.
Begin by writing articles on fitness subjects that interest you. Do some research by reading other fitness blogs and seeing what is trending on them. You will need to create fresh content at least twice a week to really grow your audience.
You may find it difficult to come up with that much original content. If you do, there are some tools which can help.
#7. SEO – Search Engine Optimization
When you are learning how to start a fitness blog business, SEO is one of your best tools. It is only through good, organic SEO would you be able to improve your site’s visibility in SERPs as well as get visitors to your fitness blog.
Using WordPress as your content management system is one good method because WordPress is already very SEO-friendly. The software comes with all the internal linking set up which will help your new blog get crawled by the search engines.
i. Set Up Permalinks
Before you start posting, ensure that you have changed the permalink settings on your site. Put your domain name into the permalinks so they can help with SEO.
ii. Keyword Research
Another important step before you begin posting content is to research the keywords that people are using to search for information on fitness. You should consider using competitive keyword phrases for your home page, long tail keywords with little competition for your posts, and medium tail keywords for your categories.
To find the best keywords for your particular fitness blog, there are several keyword tools which can help.
iii. Optimizing Your On Page SEO
You can take certain steps to help optimize your fitness posts and pages to show up in the search engine rankings.
- Title. Place your keyword in the title of each post or page. If you can, use it at the very beginning.
- Anchor Text and URL. When you are using WordPress for your site, this will be done automatically if you set up our permalinks correctly.
- Content. Create content which uses your keyword naturally throughout the post. Try and include the keyword somewhere in the first 100 words and then two or three more times within the post. Do not use the keyword over and over again because the search engines may determine you are keyword stuffing and penalise your search engine rankings. Check out these blogging tips and tools for more details.
#9. Link Building
Another important step when growing your fitness blog audience is to build links. You should spend some time the same day as you post a new article, creating links. Some ways to do this include:
- Bookmark the post with social bookmarking sites.,
- Write a guest post and link back from it.
- Submit an article about your post to the article directories and then link back to your post.
- Invite other bloggers to link to your article.
- Visit a few fitness or weight loss forums and comment. Make this comments relevant to the discussion and then include a link to your post or page.
Keep building your fitness blog and growing your audience. Add a new piece of content every day. This content can be something you write, a rewritten PLR article, or a reprint article from one of the directories. Optimize your post with long tail keywords, and you’ll see an increase in website traffic
#11. Monetizing Your Blog
Unless you just want to write about fitness and weight loss because you enjoy writing, you are probably hoping to earn some type of income from your blog. The way you do this is to monetize your website. There are several ways to do this. Pick one or two you like and see which methods work for you.
- Google Adsense: Google Adsense is an advertising program that allows you to add certain types of ads to your blog or website. You are paid based on the amount of traffic you send to the advertisers through these ads. For a fitness blog, Google would select ads which should attract the interest of people interested in fitness and weight loss.
- Amazon: The online retail giant has a program where you place links and ads on your site which advertise Amazon products. When someone clicks on a link and then makes a purchase, you get a commission on the sale. You can also make specific recommendations within your posts or on your site, such as fitness equipment or a weight loss DVD and create a link to the Amazon page where your customers can buy the item.
These are just a couple of recommendations for monetizing your site. There are many more options and as your site grows you will most likely learn more about how to make money.