Moving on from our last post on how to point an existing domain name to HostGator, here is a quick guide on how to change the domain name servers in HostGator.
HostGator is not a new name in the web hosting industry. It powers millions of websites on the internet and offers a range of web hosting plans and features.
It offers different hosting types with a website builder option. With unmetered bandwidth and uptime guarantee, your website will scale higher.
If you already have an account with HostGator, then you can manage its features using the dashboard or cPanel. It also lets you install WordPress and provides free domain and website transfer.
How Do I Change DNS Records in HostGator?
The name servers are special servers that hold the DNS files in the system. They help to translate the domain names to the IP address, which helps the users differentiate between URLs and websites. Name servers are available in the cPanel or the welcome email sent by the hosting company, in this case, it is HostGator. For a Reseller account, it is always advisable to opt for a private name server. If you have no idea how to change your DNS in HostGator, then this guide will help you.
Make use of these HostGator Coupons to buy web hosting at a discounted price.
B. Where Can I Find the Domain Name Servers?
You can find the details of your DNS in your HostGator account. Upon locating it, you need to determine which name servers you want to use for your account. This mostly depends on the hosting type and servers.
1. Welcome Email: When you purchase a hosting plan from HostGator, a welcome email is sent to you. This email has the name servers detail that can be used on all sites according to the plan you choose. It also shows all your account information along with other details.
2. Control Panel (cPanel): Through cPanel, you’ll be able to locate your name servers on the right-hand side of your homepage. You will find the primary and secondary name server option on this list.
3. Customer Portal: In the customer portal account, you need to first,
- Click here to log into your account.
- Select ‘hosting’ from the left-hand menu, locate the hosting package you have purchased and click the ‘Manage’ link.
- Click on the ‘Settings’ tab under the selected hosting package. Here, you’ll find the name just below the IP Address.
D. Steps to Change the Primary Domain in HostGator
- Step 1: For this, you’ll have to log into your HostGator cPanel account. Scroll down to the files section. Here, you will find a list of backups. Click this option to change your domain. You’ll now land on the backup page.
- Step 2: To change the primary domain, you’ll have to take a complete backup of your website. Once the backup is done, you can continue changing your domain name.
- Step 3: Go to the ‘File manager’ to create a new folder for the old domain, click on the folder tap menu on the top-of-the-page.
- Step 4: Move the root files from the old domain name and not the files from the sub-domain. Now, you will have two choices. You can either assign an add-on domain as a primary one or add a new domain to the account.
- Step 5: If the domain name was recently bought or transferred from another domain registrar, you will have to upload all the files directly. Next, you will have to log in to your billing area and click on the packages that are found on the left-hand side.
- Step 6: Click on the settings account on the right-hand side with the option ‘change my domain’. Now, change the domain you want to be the primary domain of your website.
- Step 7: For this, you will need to click the ‘update domain’ button. You will receive a notification or email after you change the domain with the message of successful change.