Hope our recently published comparison articles were helpful!
Moving on, lets today check the difference between .Com and .Co domain.
Did you know if your domain name extension is not suitable; it will affect your site?
Similar to different types of web hosting, there are many domain name extensions available today that you’ll be confused regarding which one is the best.
The .COM extension is still the most popular as far as a business website is concerned. But over the years, .CO extension has also picked up the pace.
The .COM extension is a generic extension so it can be used for any brand or business. On the other hand, .CO is a country-related extension. Both extensions have their advantages and features. So, let us take a look at the difference between .COM and .CO.
Which is Better .COM or .CO?
The list of domain extensions in the market is quite huge. Just like picking a relevant domain name for your website matters, likewise choosing the right domain extension is also important. When it comes to commercial business purposes, .COM is the top choice, while .CO is used when country-specific domain extension is required.
Which is better for your website .COM or .CO would totally depend on your needs and requirements. However, if you want to know about the differences between the two before you make the choice, then here is a blog that can help.
2. The Popularity
The difference between .COM and .CO is visible in numbers. More than 10 million users are registered with the .COM domain, while 2 million users are registered with the .CO domain.
- All brands and top business companies use .COM as the domain name extension, and a new user always considers .COM as a first choice.
- Currently, there are more requests for .COM as compared to .CO extension, which is the reason why web hosting companies charge a higher price for .COM extension.
- Also, since most users are only familiar with the .COM extension; if you have a website registered with .CO and it is printed on your business card, then people might get confused or think its a typo or doubt its credibility.
- There is also confusion regarding the typing of the two. Most people simply have a habit of typing .COM with a website name, so with .CO there might be confusion, which is a disadvantage.
- Plus, if people do not type in your website correctly with a .CO extension, then naturally you are sending your potential customers to your competitors. In many cases, if the URL is somewhat similar, then it can pose a huge problem.
4. Specific Location
The .COM extension is not based on any location. If you need to register .COM domain, you’ll be able to do that from any corner of the world. It is based on GTLD, which stands for the generic top-level domain.
The .COM extension is always used for branding purposes, and most new websites want to get their domain registration with .COM.
The .CO extension, on the other hand, is a country domain extension. Like, in India, it is used for co.in and in the UK it would be .co.uk.
- The extension .CO belongs to a specific location in that particular country and is not based on a generic extension.
- The .CO extension is used in more than 20 countries, and if a particular website or business needs localized branding of business, then .CO is quite popular.
Country code domain extensions can be used for marketing in a specific region or country. Most people also tend to register with .CO extension when they just have to pass some information through a website.
6. The Purpose
It is important to know about the purpose of the domain extension. Why you need it for your website? When you are clear of your purpose, it’ll become easier to purchase the domain name.
- The .COM extension is mostly suited for commercial websites or for branding your business. In other words, it can help you to monetize because all blog sites that use .COM as an extension earn well in the web space, as Google pays special attention to .COM extension.
- The extension .CO is more for a corporate space, as it is mostly used to provide information to potential clients or investors. In most cases, a .CO extension website is also related to company goals and ethics.
So there is a difference between the types of visitors, but for a long-term monetary gain, you need to stick to .COM extension.