So, go out there and make the most of your particular niche! Moving on from our recent article on the 17 Compelling Reasons To Get Started With Blogging, today we’ll take a look at some of the best niche blog ideas you can start your new blog with. So, without further ado, let’s dive in!
Starting a new blog can be challenging. There are so many niches out there that at times you might find yourself unable to come up with unique ideas for starting a blog. Sometimes you’ll find that your area of interest is so broad that finding relevant blog ideas that make money is hard.
Another area of concern is that you may find there is so much content already covering your topic of interest, that getting traffic to your site is extremely tough. This is the time when finding your blogging niche in the market becomes important, as this will help you find a target audience to blog to. Finding your blog niche will help you to focus your content on your audience needs. After all, blogging is 90% about satisfying the needs of your audience.
So how to find your niche in blogging? Well, let’s find out!
B. How To Choose A Blog Niche
Step 1. Select Something You Know And Love
The first step in choosing a blog niche is to find something you know and love. Many say you should choose a blogging topic that is both. I am a proponent of choosing either something you know or love.
Writing about something you know and have the expertise in is great, and it will allow you to constantly be able to put out interesting content that your readers will love. On the other hand, choosing something you love means you will be passionate about the subject.
If it is something you have experience in and are also passionate about, then you have hit the jackpot, and this can help to create a profitable blog niche for you. This is because you will be passionate enough to go out and improve your skills and expertise on the subject. In doing this you will be one step closer to finding your blog niche.
Step 2. Find Your Passion
Some people just know their passion and are able to talk about it for hours on end. Those are the lucky ones. Most of us are not so lucky and we have to take time to figure out exactly what our passion is and more importantly if we can present new and interesting content sustainably to our target market.
In this phase, you have to go into a little self-inspection in finding your niche. You have to look at what really gets your engines revving. You have to ask yourself some questions to identify your passion:
- What interests me?
- What do I take time to go and find out about?
- What are my hobbies?
- What can I talk about for hours on end? (sometimes to the annoyance of friends and family)
If these do not help you find your passion, then you can try this exercise :
- Draw a circle in the middle of a page.
- Draw five branches from the circle.
- Label them what, when, where, why and how.
- Give yourself five minutes and start writing questions according to the question title.
When you are done, look through the questions and group them according to the subject.The subject that has the most questions is probably one of the best blog niches for you to explore. The next step is for you to take time and see if you can think of 10 possible blog posts to write about the subject.
If you can, then you have found your passion and possible niche. You may even use the ideas from this brainstorm session to find blog niche ideas.
Step 3. Find A Hole In The Market
Now that you have found your passion and are one step closer to your blog niche, you have to find a hole in the market. Knowing your passion means you have your market. Having your market is only the beginning. Most blog markets are saturated and it is up to new bloggers to find their unique selling point and in essence, bring something new to the table. This is the hole in the market you have to identify. This is how to find your niche in blogging.
As there are many blogs out there, you have to find the areas that are often times neglected. It could be an audience that doesn’t often travel, and you can have a blog on travelling aimed at them. Or it could be a special niche in the music arena that has yet, have not been explored by anyone and you could set up a music blog for it. Simply put, you would have to first identify the hole (the need) and write towards that. The gaps in the market are where you will find profitability, but remember you have to satisfy a need.
If you already have a blog running, then listen to the comments and questions of your readers. They can help to inform your decision on targeting your blog to a specific niche. Your readers are a wealth of knowledge on how to pick a niche or at the very least targeting your current blog towards a particular niche.
Step 4. Dominating Your Niche
So, you’ve found a profitable blogging niche. You know your target audience, and you know what they need and want. However, you now have to find a way to stick out from the rest. You have to be the proverbial sore thumb in an ocean of bloggers. This is where your unique selling point or points come in.
What do you bring to the table that some else have not already bought? You have to build your audience by showing them something new or even showing them a new need that they did not at first know they had.
Finding the need or problem is important, but what is even more important is being able to satisfy and solve that need. This is what will set you apart from the rest. It will not help if you have thousands of blog niche ideas if you are unable to satisfy the need for these niches.
Like mentioned above, once you have found your niche, you have to look for hosting and domain. As such, here are a few HostGator hosting coupons and HostGator domain coupons that you can make use of once you are ready to build a blog.
D. Niche Blog Ideas You Can Start Your New Blog With
There are many top blogging niches out there but you need to find one that suits you perfectly. To make things easier for you, we have provided the steps detailed above on how to pick a blog niche. To help you get started quicker and easier, we have a list of 23 niche blog ideas you can start your new blog with. These ideas are general but they will be able to help you get traction and establish a direction in which you can niche down to.
1. How To Make Money Online : People are always trying to improve their lot in life. This is why blogs on how to make money are so popular. If you have the expertise to help people in this field you have a very strong niche in the blogging market.
2. Personal Finance : Many people have trouble with their personal finances. They are not always able to regulate their spending, especially the younger generation. This can be an excellent niche to exploit.
3. Health and Fitness : Health and fitness are very important to people. This is one of the most popular blog topics and this niche has a lot of possibilities. You can find your niche from those who are hardcore gym “fanatics” to those who occasionally get off the couch to change the channel. Here is how you can start a health and fitness blog.
4. Lifestyle : Who doesn’t want to know how the other side lives? There is a reason Keeping Up with the Joneses is such a cliché and reality TV has shown this.
5. Beauty and Fashion : Fashion and beauty is such a diverse niche. You can choose between specific styles of clothes, hair types, skin types and much more. Of course, you have to make sure you blog responsibly as you wouldn’t want to unintentionally insult someone.
6. Food : One of the other top blogging niches. Who can argue with food? Food is good and people would love to know how good your food is and how you make it. Interested in this niche? Here is how you can start a food blog in 7 simple steps. Take a look!
7. Gardening : Do you have a green thumb? For many people, the closest they have ever gotten to having a green thumb is that time their pens exploded in their pockets. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to have an excellent garden. So, if you have expertise in this field then this could turn out to be a profitable blog niche.
8. Homesteading : Not many people have the necessary skills, to talk about this niche. If you do you will be able to set yourself up as an expert. Check out this article to know more about homesteading.
9. Survival : Who doesn’t want to know how to build a PVC bow and arrow, in case of a zombie apocalypse? You can even cover more mundane topics like surviving in the forest if you are ever lost, or if you are in a medium-sized metropolitan city where you don’t speak the language.
10. Home/Outdoor Decor : Nothing is more relaxing than coming back to a beautiful home. You can help people create the home of their dreams.
11. Organization : Almost everyone needs a little help in getting more organized in their life. So, if you have the required skills then get cracking on this right away.
12. Travel : As with the lifestyles niches, you can go into travel. You can show people not only how to travel but also how to do it cost-effectively. Read this blog post to know how to start a travel blog.
13. Personal Development : The idea that we can always get better, is one that drives many people. It is also why the self-help industry is so big. You can show people your journey as well as help them with theirs.
14. Technology : Technology moves fast, sometimes almost too fast. Everyone needs a helping hand, every once in a while with technological issues. So, if you are knowledgeable about this field and can provide helpful guidance to those how need solutions then for you, this is the best niche for blogging.
15. Blogging Tutorial : This article is enough of an illustration why this is a great niche to get into. You can select any topic under blogging be it hosting, domain, CMS platform and start a blog providing valuable information to other budding bloggers.
16. Politics and Public Affairs Commentary : With the world as big and connected as it is right now, there is always something happening and we need someone to keep us in touch with what is going on.
17. Insurance : This seems like an unnecessary niche, however, your audience may need help with reviews on insurance packages or recommendations.
18. Dating and Relationships : People are always looking to connect, and there are so many people who are lonely out there. Blogs on relationship advice fill a great need.
19. Car Care and Maintenance : Like technology, car care and maintenance is a great blog niche idea for those with the necessary skills. You can help new car owners get the best out of their vehicles or even help restore older cars to their original glory.
20. Movie, TV Show or Hosting Reviews : People love to choose movies and TV shows after reading reviews. There are so many movies and TV shows out there you will have ample of content to get started with. Likewise, writing web hosting reviews like this HostGator India review and HostGator vs DreamHost review is another excellent and lucrative niche that you can get into.
21. Education and Learning : With great jobs obtainable through the right education, people are always looking to learn something new. This can be a great niche to get into as are so many subjects to choose from.
22. BodyBuilding : Bodybuilding has always been popular. You can advise people on how to get the perfect six-pack.
23. Spirituality and Alternative Beliefs : Many are on a path to spirituality and you can help people find their new spiritual path. Help people explore new alternative beliefs.